- Post-PhD in Political Science, University of Oxford (2000–2002);
- PhD (2000) and Master’s (1996) in Political Science, New School University, New York, USA;
- Master’s in Sociology, Pernambuco Federal University (1994);
- Medicine, Pernambuco State University (1990).
He was Edward Laroque Tinker Visiting Professor na Stanford University (Estágio SêniorCAPES); Visiting Scholar da Hertie School of Governance, Berlim; and Research Fellow atOxford University. He was also Visiting Fellow in the Foreign Policy and Global Economy andDevelopment programs in the Latin American Initiative at Brookings Institution,Washington-DC; and Resident Fellow do Bellagio Center at Rockefeller Foundation, Itália. Healso worked as Assistant Professor do Departament of political sceince at Michigan StateUniversity and Professor in the School of Economics of São Paulo at Getúlio VargasFoundation (EESP/FGV). He was also visiting professor in the department of economics atthe University of São Paulo (USP) and at Colby College-Maine, USA. Moreover, he was anassociate researcher in the department of social science Oswaldo Cruz Foundation.
- Political institutions,
- Public policy,
- Comparative politics and regulation.